Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|Y||Children’s, Teenage and Educational
Use all Y* codes for: material aimed at, or purposefully written or created for a juvenile or adolescent audience (except for graphic novels, comic books, manga in X*). DO NOT USE: code ‘Y’ itself, but select specific categories from section Y*. Use all Y* codes with: only one INTEREST AGE 5A* Qualifier to indicate a guideline starting interest age (detailed age ranges should be included in other metadata) – or for YP* use EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE 4* qualifiers. All other qualifiers can be used as appropriate with Y* codes. DO NOT USE for: material intended primarily for adults that may also appeal to older teenagers. For ‘new adult’ content see note at 5LKE
|YF||Children’s / Teenage fiction and true stories
Use all YF* codes with: one 5A* INTEREST AGE Qualifier; with PLACE 1*, TIME PERIOD 3* or INTEREST 5* Qualifiers where these aspects are particularly pertinent and significant; with appropriate non-fiction categories YN* or YX* to indicate key settings or topics of the narrative, but NOTE for ALL children‘s and teenage fiction the primary category MUST be an YF* code; with 5H*, 5J*, 5L* or 5P* qualifiers when these represent a significant topic or part of the appeal of the narrative; with 5X, where appropriate, to indicate material that may have themes or topics only be suitable for older or mature teenagers; with YB* to indicate the genre of a picture or chapter book; with YDC for fiction anthologies; YFZ* codes may be used to indicate special features of a fiction title.
Prefer: X* codes for fiction told in comic book or manga form.
See also: XADC European comic books: general, classic, all ages, XAKC American comic books: classic, Golden Age, XAMC Manga: Kodomo, XAMF Manga: Shōjo, XAMG Manga: Shōnen
|YFZ||Children’s / Teenage fiction: Special features and related items||1.3|
|YFZZ||Children’s / Teenage fiction: Companion works
Use for: companion works to popular children’s or teenage fiction series or titles, typically uncritical, such as an atlas of a mythical world, a compendium of characters, a guide to the series, etc. Use with: other Y* codes or on its own as appropriate
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard