Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|Y||Children’s, Teenage and Educational
Use all Y* codes for: material aimed at, or purposefully written or created for a juvenile or adolescent audience (except for graphic novels, comic books, manga in X*). DO NOT USE: code ‘Y’ itself, but select specific categories from section Y*. Use all Y* codes with: only one INTEREST AGE 5A* Qualifier to indicate a guideline starting interest age (detailed age ranges should be included in other metadata) – or for YP* use EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE 4* qualifiers. All other qualifiers can be used as appropriate with Y* codes. DO NOT USE for: material intended primarily for adults that may also appeal to older teenagers. For ‘new adult’ content see note at 5LKE
|YB||Children’s: picture books, activity books, early learning concepts
Use all YB* codes for: physical or digital items – the headings relate purely to the content, not the format (Format information is described in other metadata). Use all YB* codes with: only one INTEREST AGE 5A* Qualifier to indicate a guideline starting interest age
|YBC||Children’s picture books
Use all YBC* codes for: highly illustrated books (typically colour throughout) for children in which the content (either fiction or non-fiction) is conveyed through the use of words and pictures in combination or through pictures alone. A ‘picture book’ differs from a ‘book with illustrations’, in that the pictures it contains are at least as important as the text (if any) and form an essential component of the book. Use all YBC* codes with: other codes from Y* sections as appropriate, for example, YNB for Picture book biographies, or YPCA21 for picture books that are part of a structured reading scheme
Use for: usually small format, board, bath, cloth or rag book picture books with little or no text, and no explicitly educational early learning content, and usually very little story. Use with: YBG* codes for baby books which involve interactivity
|YBCH||Picture books: character books
Use for: all books based on TV or film characters, and all books featuring established pictorially-represented characters used in several books and or other products
Use for: fully illustrated storybooks for children where the narrative is told mostly or entirely through pictures and where any text is totally dependent on the illustrations. Use with: relevant YF* codes to indicate the genre of story, as appropriate, or YN* or YX* categories as secondary codes for stories with specific themes. YBCS should usually be the primary or main subject when used with YF*, YN* or YX* categories.
Prefer: X* codes for stories told in comic book or manga form
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard