Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|W||Lifestyle, Hobbies and Leisure
Use all W* codes for: popular accounts for general adult readership. DO NOT USE: code ‘W’ itself, but select specific categories from section W*. Use all W* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate.
Prefer: codes from A*, K*, P*, R*, T*, etc, for specialist, technical and academic works
|WZ||Stationery and miscellaneous items
Use all WZ* codes for: products such as stationery and non-book articles for adults that would not be categorised using another subject category as a primary or main subject. Use with: other subject codes as appropriate but WZ* should be the main or principal code. Details of formats are conveyed in other product metadata
Use for: books, typically small format and of a decorative, humorous or inspirational nature, intended to be given as gifts by the purchaser.
See also: YZG Children’s gift books
Use for: any printed stationery item, diaries, calendars, posters, kits, postcard packs, bookmarks, etc. Use with: another code indicating subject where possible
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard