Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|W||Lifestyle, Hobbies and Leisure
Use all W* codes for: popular accounts for general adult readership. DO NOT USE: code ‘W’ itself, but select specific categories from section W*. Use all W* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate.
Prefer: codes from A*, K*, P*, R*, T*, etc, for specialist, technical and academic works
|WF||Handicrafts, decorative arts and crafts
Use all WF* codes for: practical, ‘how-to’ and hobbyist approaches, often aimed at an interested amateur audience.
Prefer: codes from Section A* where appropriate for art history and criticism approaches, or codes in T* section for more vocational and professional textbooks.
See also: AFT Decorative arts
|WFN||Pottery, ceramics and glass crafts
See also: AFP Ceramics, mosaic and glass: artworks
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard