Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|V||Health, Relationships and Personal development
Use all V* codes for: general adult titles. DO NOT USE: code ‘V’ itself, but select specific categories from section V*. Use all V* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate, in particular INTEREST 5* Qualifiers.
Prefer: codes from C*, J*, K*, L*, M*, Q*, R* for specialist works
|VF||Family and health
Use all VF* codes for: popular accounts for general readership.
Prefer: codes from Sections J, M etc, as appropriate, for specialist and academic works
|VFV||Relationships and families: advice and issues
Use for: works giving advice about topics and issues for different types of relationships within families or social groups, not covered by more specific codes.
See also: JBFW Sex and sexuality, social aspects, JHBK Sociology: family and relationships, WQY Family history, tracing ancestors
|VFVC||Sex and sexuality: advice and issues
Class here: sex manuals.
See also: JBFW Sex and sexuality, social aspects, JMU Psychology: sexual behaviour
|VFVG||Dating, relationships, living together and marriage: advice and issues
Use for: works on advice or practical guides to different types or aspects of intimate relationships, such as, love, romance, fidelity, monogamous relationships, living apart together, adultery, infidelity, moving in together, jealousy, routine, polyamory, non-monogamy, casual dating.
See also: WJW Weddings, wedding planners
|VFVJ||Involuntary childlessness: advice and issues
Class here: infertility
|VFVK||Adoption and fostering: advice and issues|
|VFVM||Solo lifestyles: advice and issues
Class here: advice on living without a partner, self-partnering, singleton life
|VFVN||Relationships: friends / peer groups
Class here: advice on making friends, friendships, relationships within peer groups, social networks, social groups, etc
|VFVS||Separation and divorce: advice and issues|
|VFVX||Intergenerational relationships: advice and issues
Class here: parent–child, grandparent–grandchild relationships, generation gaps, intergenerational friendships, generational misunderstandings or clashes, etc
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard