Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|N||History and Archaeology
Use all N* codes for: specialist and general adult titles. DO NOT USE: code ‘N’ itself, but select specific categories from section N*. Use all N* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate, in particular PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers. A History work will usually need more than one subject category, from either History or non-History subjects to give greater detail, for example categories from Social Sciences (J*) with NHTB
Use for: general history of broad topics, places etc. Use all NH* codes with: other subject codes to give more detail and also PLACE 1* and/or TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate.
Prefer: ‘history of’ categories from within that subject where they exist, e.g. PDX History of science, QRAX history of Religion or KCZ Economic History
Use with: relevant PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate.
See also: JW* Warfare and defence and its subcategories
Use with: relevant PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate
|NHWD||Medieval warfare (predating gunpowder warfare)
Use for: works that look at warfare post-antiquity, usually periods of greater use of mounted cavalry, and technologies such as the stirrup, or heavily armoured knights or castles, but prior to modern technologies such as gunpowder warfare. Use with: relevant PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate
|NHWF||Early modern warfare (including gunpowder warfare)
Use for: works that look at warfare in periods when gunpowder and associated armaments and techniques were developed and used. Use with: relevant PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate
Use for: works that look at periods of total war, war using industrial techniques, sophisticated technologies, conscript armies etc. Use with: relevant PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate
|NHWR||Specific wars and campaigns
Use for: works that look at particular wars or campaigns (the name of the war is described in other metadata). Use with: relevant PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard