Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|N||History & Archaeology|
Use for: general history of broad topics, places etc. Use with: appropriate Subject category, but prefer ‘history of’ categories from within that subject where they exist, eg PDX History of science, QRAX history of Religion or KCZ Economic History. Use with: (all NH* codes) other subject codes to give more detail and also PLACE 1* and/or TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers as appropriate
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard