Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|M||Medicine and Nursing
Use all M* codes for: academic, technical and specialist healthcare and medical material only. Use with: Qualifiers NOT generally required and NOT usually mixed with other Subject codes.
Prefer: V* codes for health topics aimed at a broad general adult audience
|MQ||Nursing and ancillary services
Use for: works for healthcare professionals, allied professions or ancillary roles that do not have their own code, or for general works
|MQG||Medical assistants / Physicians’ assistants
Class here: clinical assistants, healthcare assistants, physicians’ associates. Use for: qualified healthcare professionals training or trained to assist doctors, physicians and other qualified medical professionals. Use with: other M* codes to indicate a speciality
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard