Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|M||Medicine and Nursing
Use all M* codes for: academic, technical and specialist healthcare and medical material only. Use with: Qualifiers NOT generally required and NOT usually mixed with other Subject codes.
Prefer: V* codes for health topics aimed at a broad general adult audience
|MB||Medicine: general issues|
|MBN||Public health and preventive medicine|
Class here: mass screening, high-risk or selective screening of populations or groups
|MBNH||Personal and public health / health education
Class here: specialist and professional works on health education, patient education, training for health education specialists
|MBNS||Epidemiology and Medical statistics
Class here: works that deal with applications of statistics to medicine and the health sciences or with the study of the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases (both epidemic and disease in general) and other non-disease, health-related conditions
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard