Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
Use all L* codes for: academic, professional or specialist titles only. DO NOT USE: code ‘L’ itself, but select specific categories from section L*. The L* section is not meant to reflect any particular legal system and many titles will need at least two codes to create the appropriate category. Use all L* codes with: PLACE 1* Qualifiers to indicate jurisdiction (especially with LN* codes), plus other qualifiers as appropriate.
Prefer: VS* codes for more general adult titles
|LBB||Public international law|
|LBD||International law: transport, communications and commerce|
|LBG||Private international law and conflict of laws|
|LBH||International law: international disputes and civil procedure|
|LBJ||International law: intellectual property|
|LBK||International law: sports|
|LBL||International law reports|
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard