Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|D||Biography, Literature and Literary studies
Use all D* codes for: specialist and general adult titles. DO NOT USE: code ‘D’ itself, but select specific categories from section D*. Use all D* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate, in particular STYLE 6*, PLACE 1*, LANGUAGE 2* or TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers
|DN||Biography and non-fiction prose
Class here: life-writing. Use all DN* codes with: another specific subject code where possible, e.g. SFH “Golf” with DNBS.
See also: FC Biographical fiction
|DNX||True stories: general
Use all DNX* codes for: for popular accounts of actual events written in a narrative or journalistic style
Use with: JKV* or other codes as appropriate
|DNXH||True stories of discovery
Use for: discovery of a historical or scientific nature
|DNXM||True war and combat stories|
|DNXP||True stories of heroism, endurance and survival
Use for: primarily physical ordeals arising from misadventure, conflict, disasters etc.
See also: DNXR True stories of survival of abuse and injustice
|DNXR||True stories of survival of abuse and injustice
Class here: ‘misery memoirs’. Use for: physical or emotional ordeals arising from deliberate mistreatment, miscarriages of justice, victims of crime, etc.
Prefer: DNXC for objective or criminal’s view of criminal activity.
See also: DNXC True crime, DNXP True stories of heroism, endurance and survival
|DNXZ||Erotic confessions and true stories|
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard