Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|D||Biography, Literature and Literary studies
Use all D* codes for: specialist and general adult titles. DO NOT USE: code ‘D’ itself, but select specific categories from section D*. Use all D* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate, in particular STYLE 6*, PLACE 1*, LANGUAGE 2* or TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers
Use all DD* codes with: PLACE 1* and/or TIME PERIOD 3*, STYLE 6* Qualifiers where these aspects are particularly pertinent and significant; appropriate codes, including FX* codes, may be added after DD* codes to indicate specific central themes or topics in drama and theatre. DO NOT USE: Qualifiers to indicate when or where the work was published.
See also: ATFD Film scripts and screenplays, ATJD Television screenplays, scripts and performances, ATLD Radio plays, scripts and performances
|DDA||Classic and pre-20th century plays|
|DDC||Modern and contemporary plays (c 1900 onwards)|
Class here: farce, entremés. Use for: different traditions of comedic theatre
Class here: tragedies, revenge tragedy
|DDV||Monologues / Duologues||1.4|
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard