Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
|C||Language and Linguistics
Use all C* codes for: specialist and general adult titles. DO NOT USE: code ‘C’ itself, but select specific categories from section C*. Use all C* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers where appropriate, in particular LANGUAGE 2* Qualifiers plus PLACE 1*, TIME 3* and EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE 4* Qualifiers
|CJ||Language teaching and learning
Use all CJ* codes for: all material for or about teaching or learning of a language or languages. Use with: LANGUAGE 2* and EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE 4* Qualifiers as appropriate. Use with: JN* codes for different aspects of language education.
Prefer: YPC* or YRD* codes for language material aimed at children or teenagers.
See also: YPC* Educational: Language, literature and literacy and its subcategories, 4LE* For ELT / ESL learning, courses, examinations and certificates and its subcategories, 4LZ* For specific language learning, courses, examinations and certificates other than ELT / ESL and its subcategories
|CJA||Language teaching theory and methods|
|CJB||Language teaching and learning material and coursework|
|CJC||Language learning: specific skills
Use with: LANGUAGE 2* and EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE 4* Qualifiers as appropriate
|CJP||Language learning for specific purposes
Use with: other secondary subject codes to indicate specific purpose or type of language and LANGUAGE 2* & EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE 4* Qualifiers as appropriate
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard