Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
Use all A* codes for: specialist and general adult titles, including both highly illustrated and more text-based works. For a hobby or recreational approach, prefer a WF* code as the main subject and supplement with A* code(s) where appropriate. Use all A* codes with: other subject categories and qualifiers as appropriate, in particular STYLE 6*, plus PLACE 1* and TIME PERIOD 3* Qualifiers
|AJ||Photography and photographs|
|AJT||Photographic equipment and techniques: general
Class here: cameras, lenses, lighting, film, flash, darkroom techniques and photo processing, retouching and digital manipulation, principles of colour, composition, black and white etc.
See also: UGP Photo and image editing
Use for: any publication about a specific camera type or brand
|AJTF||Photography: subject-specific techniques and principles
Class here: aerial, drone, studio, street, landscape, nature and wildlife, portrait, underwater photography, micro- and astrophotography techniques and guides. Use for: works on composition etc
|AJTV||Video photography / videography
See also: AFKV Digital, video and new media arts, ATFX Filmmaking and production: technical and background skills, ATJX Television production: technical and background skills
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard