Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.3 1.2 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
Use STYLE 6* Qualifier codes WITH appropriate subject codes for: indicating the particular style of artistic or creative expression covered by the works content, such as a book on art, architecture, fashion, dance, music, (all A* categories) or with literary studies, e.g. use 6RA with DC* to indicate Romantic Poetry or 6EH to indicate Epic poetry. Use with: A*, D* and YN* and other categories as appropriate and with PLACE 1* Qualifiers when the content is about the style in a particular country or region. DO NOT USE: code “6” itself, but select appropriate specific qualifiers from section 6*
DO NOT USE: 6A on individual books, this is a place holder only for all the styles that start with the letter A in the English version
Class here: Style nouille, Glasgow School, Stile Liberty, Modernisme, Arte Nova, Russian modern, Nieuwe Kunst, Tiffany style, Modernismo, Arte joven, Szecesszió. Use for: any variation on the name of the style in different languages and countries.
See also: 6BD Berliner Sezession, 6JG Jugendstil, 6SG Secession Groups, 6VA Vienna Secession
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard