Previous versions of Thema are still available 1.1 1.0.
Browse the Thema subject categories hierarchy, or search for a specific term within the hierarchy.
Do not use “1” on individual books, but select qualifiers from section 1* as appropriate
Use to indicate a specifically global context
|1M||Australasia, Oceania, Pacific Islands, Atlantic Islands|
|1Q||Other geographical groupings: Oceans & seas, historical, political etc|
|1Z||Space, planets & extraterrestrial locations
Use for works beyond the earth where a location has meaning either in setting or subject for the majority of the work.
- An ellipsis indicates a category has more detailed subcategories
- Click on a category description to reveal these ‘descendant’ subcategories
- Indentation indicates the ancestors and descendants of a category
- Click on the ✽ or ? to see or hide the usage notes
- Search for categories (for example ‘celebrity’) using the search field at the top
- Searches are not case-sensitive, and search both the category headings and any notes
- You don’t need to use complete words (eg ‘celeb’)
- You can also search for Thema codes – these searches must be exact (eg ‘MFGV’)
- Click on a search result category to see it ‘in context’ with its ancestor and descendant categories
- A click on ‘Category heading’ or a blank search returns you to the top level of the hierarchy
- Click on the notation to copy the code to the clipboard